Nikon just made the Capture NX 1.3 (direct download link) available on its US website. This version is an upgrade-only installer, which will upgrade previous installation of Capture NX version 1.00 – 1.20 to version 1.30.
The major changes from previous versions are:
- Support for RAW NEF images taken with the D3 and D300 has been added.
- Support for Picture Control has been added.
- A Picture Control item has been added to Camera Adjustments in the Base Adjustments. The Color Mode, Tone Compensation, Saturation and Sharpening items have been moved to the new Picture Control item.
- An Active D-Lighting item has been added to RAW adjustments in the Base Adjustments, and Sodium Vapor Lamps and High Temperature Mercury Vapor (7200K) settings have been added.
- RAW images can now be saved with lossless compression. Images captured in lossless-compressed RAW format can now be saved in lossless-compressed RAW format, regardless of camera model. (Limited to use with images captured with Nikon digital-SLR cameras).
- The Vignette Control function, which was previously for use only with RAW images, is now supported with JPEG and TIFF images. (Limited to use with images captured by Nikon digital -SLR cameras).
- The function for modifying images captured with a fisheye lens, available in Lens Adjustments in the Base Adjustments, is now compatible with images captured with the AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D.
- Features for editing RAW images, previously available in the Camera Settings palette, have been eliminated.
If you have not heard it before, the Image Doctors have a detailed hands-on preview of Nikon Capture NX 1.3 podcast. I also have some Capture NX tutorials on creating LOMO effect, selection brush, high-pass sharpening, and D-lighting.