Nikon has announced two software updates for ViewNX and Nikon Transfer.
The ViewNX update introduces a long list of usability improvements (full list of modifications can be found below for your reference). The change list for the Nikon Transfer version 1.4.0 is significantly shorter but it finally provides an alternative option to the very annoying “feature” of the previous version: adding trailing numbers to folder names formulated using the transfer date.
Download links can be found at the end of this post.
Modifications enabled with ViewNX Ver. 1.3.0
- All image enhancement functions in the Quick Adjustment palette are now supported by both NRW and NEF RAW images. (Exposure Comp., White Balance, Picture Control*, Sharpness, Contrast, Brightness, Highlight/Shadow Protection, D-Lighting HS, Color Booster, Axial Color Aberration) *COOLPIX Picture Controls are not supported.
- Brightness can now be adjusted from the Quick Adjustment palette.
- Axial Color Aberration can now be adjusted from the Quick Adjustment palette.
- A Revert button has been added to the Quick Adjustment palette. This allows RAW (NEF, NRW) images enhanced with functions available in the Quick Adjustment palette to be restored to their original state.
- The Picture Control Recorded Value is now displayed in the Quick Adjustment palette.
- 3D Google Maps can now be used with the GeoTag function. When the Earth button in the GeoTag screen is clicked, the map switches to the 3D Google Maps display. The 3D Google Maps display supports a variety of three-dimensional views with scrolling capability. However, the Google Earth plug-in must be installed to use 3D Google Maps.
- A function that allows GPS information to be deleted has been added to the GeoTag function.
- A function for editing metadata has been added to the GeoTag function. This function can be used to manually add keywords and to automatically acquire geographic (place) names using Wikipedia.
- A function that allows selection of map server and setting of default map display position (home location) automatically or manually has been added to the GeoTag function.
- A View Path function, which allows multiple shooting locations to be connected via a straight line, automatic scrolling of the map according to the route indicated by the line, and display of images along the route in the order in which they were captured has been added to the GeoTag function.
- A function that supports searches by region name been added to the GeoTag function. Enter a regional name or address in the text box and click Search Maps. A search on the regional name or address is performed and that location is displayed.
- A Restore Original… option has been added to the Edit menu. If backups of JPEG or TIFF images were saved prior to performing adjustments, these images can be restored to their original state.
- A Thumbnail List option has been added to the status bar in Thumbnail View Mode.
- When converting files to another format, the converted files can now be saved in the same folder as the original images or in a separate folder specified by the user.
- If the modified date and time of simultaneously recorded RAW (NEF) and JPEG images differs, these images can now be displayed as a single image or displayed as separate images by checking or unchecking, respectively, the Do not display as a single file if the images were saved at different times checkbox in the NEF + JPEG menu in the Options/Preferences panel.
- Default folders can now be displayed or not displayed by checking or unchecking, respectively, the Display default folders checkbox in the Favorite Folders menu in the Options/Preferences panel.
- Original name+New name and New name+Original name options have been added to the prefix and suffix portions in the File Naming menu.
- A Do not add trailing number option has been added when Date Shot is selected for the middle portion of folder names in the Folder Naming dialog.
- An Export File & Camera Information… option has been added to the File menu. This option exports file and camera information for the selected file or files in .TXT (tab delimited) or .CSV (comma delimited) format.
- An XMP/IPTC Preset menu has been added to Options/Preferences.
- The maximum number of prints that can be specified in the Print dialog has been changed to 99.
- Support for Picture Mail has been added to the my Picturetown upload function.
- A shared icon is now displayed with albums that have been shared using the my Picturetown upload function.
- Image keywords can now be attached as tags with the my Picturetown upload function.
- Ratings can now be attached as favorites ratings with the my Picturetown upload function.
- The amount of storage utilized with my Picturetown is now displayed as a percentage of the total capacity available with the my Picturetown upload function.
Modifications enabled with Nikon Transfer Ver. 1.4.0
- When the ‘Transfer new photos only’ checkbox in the Preferences panel of the Options dialog is checked and all image files displayed in the transfer queue have been transferred, the ‘Disconnect Automatically after transfer’, ‘Shut down computer automatically after transfer’ and ‘Quit Nikon transfer automatically after transfer’ operations are no longer performed, even if these options have been enabled.
- When ‘Date Transferred’ is selected with the Index pull down menu (between prefix and suffix) in the Folder Naming dialog, a checkbox called ‘Do not add trailing number’ is now displayed. If the checkbox is not checked, a trailing number of the form of “YYYYMMDD_001” will be added as with previous versions.
- ‘Original name+New name’ and ‘New name+Original name’ options have been added to the prefix and suffix portions in the File Naming dialog.
- An ‘Add XMP/IPTC rating as my Picturetown favourites option has been added to the my Picturetown panel in the Options dialog.
- When ‘Verify my Picturetown account’ in the my Picturetown panel of the Options dialog is clicked, the total amount of storage used is now displayed as a percentage of the total capacity available.
Download Links – Europe
- ViewNX 1.3.0 Full Version for Windows
- ViewNX 1.3.0 Full Version for Mac
- Nikon Transfer 1.4.0 Full Version for Windows
- Nikon Transfer 1.4.0 Full Version for Mac
Download Links – USA
Keywords: Nikon, Nikon Transfer, Nikon ViewNX, ViewNX