Rumor mills have been busy pumping out the bits and bytes about the upcoming Canon 7D. At the beginning it was rumored to be a full frame DLSR but now it appears to be an advanced APS-C format DSLR with 1.6x crop factor based on the bundled EF-S kit lenses.
The most recent information about the Canon 7D specifications appears to have come from a post in a Chinese language photography forum. Canon Rumors and Neutralday both have translations of the specs.
Canon 7D specifications
- 18M effective pixel APS-C sensor
- Dual DIGIC-4 digital image processor, 14 bit ADC (Analog-to-digital converter)
- ~8 frames/second continues shooting, 94 frames fine jpeg and 15 frames RAW buffer
- All new center 8 way double cross AF sensor, total of 19 cross-type AF sensors
- ISO 100-6400 (expendable to ISO 12800)
- All new 100%, 1.0x magnification viewfinder with intelligent information display, 3D electronic level
- iFCL metering system that uses both brightness and color information
- Anti-reflective 3″ LCD with 930K dots and 160 degree viewing angle
- HD video shooting, stereo microphone input and HDMI output
- LiveView shooting mode, face priority AF
- Video/LiveView switch
- Super streamlined body design, metallic shutter sound, 150K shutter life span
- Builtin flash has coverage equivalent to that of a 24mm lens, EOS E-TTL Speedlite Sytem
- Automatic light optimization (dynamic range optimizer?)
- Lens peripheral illumination (vignetting) correction
- Full range of picture styles
- EOS anti-dust system
From the specification, the new Canon 7D appears to be a direct competitor to Nikon’s D300s. However I am not sure putting 18 megapixel on the APS-C sized sensor makes sense especially if that means worse noise performance.
Also rumored is the new Canon 100mm f/2.8 L IS macro lens featuring dual mode image stabilization, UD-glass for reduced chromatic aberration, 9 aperture blades for beautiful background blur (bokeh), internal focus, ring-type USM with optimized focus algorithm for quite and fast auto focus, and full time manual focus mode that is frequently used for macro photography.
Keywords: APS-C, Canon 7D, Digital SLR Camera, Digital SLR Cameras