If you are looking for a geotagging solution for Nikon DSLR cameras, there are the Nikon GP-1 and many other third party options (low cost options). Most of the units I have talked about are direct tagging units, which are capable of directly writing (via camera) the GPS location information (latitude, longitude, altitude, and UTC time) in the photos. Another types of geotagging devices are also available that are basically GPS loggers that log the movements of the camera at a fixed time interval. The location information needs to be synced to the photos later using geotagging software on desktop computers. It adds some extra work and it is not as accurate because the unit may not be logging a location when a photo is taken. But it can log locations (waypoints) when the user is not taking photos. So it does something more than just geotagging.
If you are not happy about the limitations of existing geotagging GPS devices, a new start-up company in China called Shenzhen Easytag Technology Co. has developed a device called Easytagger that can do both direct photo tagging and track logging for about the same price as the Nikon GP-1.
On the paper, the Easytagger looks great. Featuring a highly sensitive SiRF Star III 20-channel GPS chip, it works on Nikon D3X, D3, D700, D300S, D300, D2XS, D2X, D2HS, D200, D90, D5000 and Fujifilm S5 Pro Cameras. Besides doing what Nikon GP-1 and other devices can do, the Easytagger does a lot more!
- Watchdog timer which resets the device when a problem occurs
- Integrated barometric altimeter to allow recording of barometric altitude in addition to GPS altitude
- Built-in 2 axis magnetic sensor (electronic compass) to allow tagging of heading (which direction the lens points to ) information
- Built-in micro SD card slot and included 2Gb micro SD card to store at least 2-3 years waypoints information (NMEA 0813 format) at 10 second interval.
- Auto geotag indoors by memorise the last received GPS signal when losing satellites
- Very high sensitivity (Tracking Sensitivity: -159 dBm), quick cold start speed.
- Built-in 500mAh Li-ion rechargeable battery, automatically powered by camera when built-in battery power becomes low
- Unique design allows mounting on flash accessory shoe and the built-in flash to be used at the same time
- One Easytagger receiver
- One 10 pin connector to connect Nikon D3X, D3, D700, D300S, D300, D2XS, D2X, D2HS, D200 and Fujifilm S5 Pro or one square GPS cable for Nikon D90 or D5000
- One USB charging cable
- One CD containing user manual and software utilities
- One wired shutter release
- 2Gb Sandisk micro SD card
- Micro SD card reader
Keywords: Easytagger, Geotagging, GP-1, GPS, GPS Logger, Nikon