Nikon has just released their NEF RAW workflow software View NX 2.3.0 (full version) and Capture NX 2.3.1 (updater). As usual, bug fixes, enhancements, and supports for new cameras are added. Nikon View NX 2.3.0 and Picture Control Utility now work as native 64-bit applications under 64-bit version of Windows 7 and Vista. Capture NX 2.3.1 adds the support for D4. It didn’t mention D800 because the support is already in the earlier version. The Nikon D800 was supposed to be released the previous year.
Nikon View NX 2.3.0 changes
- Support for the D800 and D800E has been added.
- Save and Save As… items have been added to the File menu.
- Original image files (original format, size, resolution, etc.) can now be sent as e-mail attachments from ViewNX 2 using the Email function.
- A Margins function has been added to Index Print settings in the Print dialog.
- Slideshows were sometimes not displayed properly when run with Auto-Hide Slide Controls selected for Toolbars in the slideshow Settings Dialog. This issue has been resolved. (64-bit version of ViewNX 2 only.)
Additional modifications to the Windows version
- ViewNX 2 and the Picture Control Utility now function as native 64-bit applications under 64-bit versions of Windows 7 and Windows Vista.
- When the decimal symbol used by the OS was set to anything other than a period (.) or comma (,) from the Regional and Language Options in the operating system’s Control Panel, position information was not correctly displayed. This issue has been resolved.
- An issue that prevented editing of information in the Metadata palette for images saved to Windows shared folders has been resolved.
- An issue that prevented smooth playback of Motion Snapshot files with some systems has been resolved.
Additional modifications to the Macintosh version
- ViewNX 2, the Picture Control Utility, and Nikon Transfer 2 now function as native 64-bit applications under Mac OS X versions 10.6 and 10.7.
Capture NX 2.3.1 changes
- Support for RAW images captured with the D4 has been added.
- Extra High 1 (Extra High) and Extra High 2 items have been added to the Active D-Lighting pulldown menu under Camera Settings in the Develop section of the Edit List.
When “Always use the latest Color Reproduction Process” in the Picture Control Utility Preferences is selected for images captured with cameras released prior to the D4, these items will be displayed.
- Event ID can now be displayed under File Info 2 in the File & Camera Information section of the Metadata palette for images captured by, and to which IPTC information has been added using the IPTC item in the camera’s setup menu, the D4.
- Display format for the following items in the Edit List has been modified.
– Active D-Lighting under Camera Settings in the Develop section.
– Color Moiré Reduction under Camera & Lens Corrections in the Develop section
- An issue that prevented sufficient application of vignette control enhancement for RAW (NEF) images captured with the Nikon 1 V1 and Nikon 1 J1 with A firmware Ver. 1.10 or 1.11 and B firmware Ver. 1.10 installed has been resolved.
- An issue that prevented accurate display of lens information in the Metadata palette for images captured with the Nikon 1 V1 or Nikon 1 J1 and a 1 NIKKOR lens has been resolved.
- When certain images with GPS information attached were saved in JPEG format, Capture NX 2 sometimes quit responding. This issue has been resolved.
Additional notes about Nikon Capture NX 2.3.1
- When this software is installed on a computer to which ViewNX 2 Ver. 2.2.3 or earlier has been installed, the Picture Control Utility cannot be launched from ViewNX 2. Please upgrade ViewNX 2 to Ver. 2.2.4 or later.
- RAW images saved with Thumbnail only selected for Embed Preview When Saving NEF/NRW in Capture NX 2 Preferences will appear grainy with display in and printing from ViewNX 2.
- If either Capture NX 2 or the Picture Control Utility (one or the other) is launched in 32-bit mode on a Macintosh computer, Capture NX 2 may freeze unexpectedly if Save as a new Custom Picture Control or Load Custom Picture Control Settings is selected from the Manage Picture Control menu in Capture NX 2.
To use the software in 32-bit mode, be sure that both Capture NX 2 and the Picture Control Utility are running in 32-bit mode.
- When performing the Capture NX 2 upgrade from Ver. 2.3.0 to Ver. 2.3.1 on a computer running a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or Windows Vista, Capture NX 2 will be upgraded as follows:
If the 32-bit version of Capture NX 2 Ver. 2.3.0 was installed, Capture NX 2 will be upgraded to the 32-bit version of Ver. 2.3.1. If the 64-bit version of Capture NX 2 Ver. 2.3.0 was installed, Capture NX 2 will be upgraded to the 64-bit version of Ver. 2.3.1.
Nik Color Efex Pro for Capture NX 2
Please use Nik Color Efex Pro for Capture NX 2 version 22.214.171.124.
- Versions 126.96.36.199 and earlier are not supported by Capture NX 2 Ver. 2.3.0.
Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0 version 188.8.131.52 for Capture NX 2 can be downloaded from the Nik websitehttp://www.niksoftware.com.
- To use Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0 for Capture NX 2 on a Macintosh computer, Capture NX 2 must be launched in 32-bit mode. Quit Capture NX 2, choose Get Info from the Finder to open the Capture NX 2 Info dialog, and check the Open in 32-bit mode box.